Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Beautiful People

        When I was young, my biggest wish was to look like Angelina Jolie. In my eyes she was the epitome of beauty and perfection. I wanted perfect skin, long hair, full pouty lips, nice curves, the works. I think I just wanted to be movie star gorgeous for the attention it brings. Unfortunately for me, at that time I was in my "awkward" phase. I remember literally BEGGING my mom for fake colored contacts. Looking back I am a little embarrassed now. Don't get me wrong, I still think she is a beautiful woman. I would just rather be myself. It's true, there are things I wish I could change still, but I've come to terms with my body.


       I think this is a huge issue with many young girls today. I was watching a show on TV called "Toddlers In Tiaras" and it was so depressing. Their mothers put them in evening gowns, make-up and yes, even corsets. Their rib cages, lungs and other internal organs can't develop correctly from being constrained in the tight-laced torture devices and they end up having problems when they're older. The sad thing is, their moms are to blame. They are either has been wash-ups or insecure moms who want to show off their pretty children. How can you justify yourself? Is our society so superficial that they have a competition for TODDLERS which is meant for full grown women? Honestly, let your children have a childhood.

       On that note who defines what beauty is? I think it's someone who is comfortable in their own body, someone who isn't afraid to proudly show their flaws and still shine with self-confidence. It's a rare thing to see these days though. Even in high school I knew my fair share of girls with eating disorders, girls with major self esteem issues, and some who even went as far as to resort to plastic surgery. As women we are naturally beautiful. God made us in every shape, size, color and not one of us is the same as another. We are all unique, we all have something different to offer and we are all beautiful in our own way. So don't let the media tell you different. Accept yourself, confidence is what makes you beautiful. 

"People are like stain-glassed windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

"A woman whose smile is open and whose expression is glad has a kind of beauty no matter what she wears." -Anne Roiphe

My hero, who was beautiful inside .&&. out.

"The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows & the beauty of a woman only grows with passing years."  -Audrey Hepburn

2 comments:

  1. Love that Audrey Hepburn quote. So perfect. I may or may not copy it from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Do it Melis, she has so many great quotes. :]

    ReplyDelete